Monday, October 20, 2014

What if you only had today?

Good morning all-

I've been really thinking about this one question, "What if I only had today?"  It's not an easy question but it should be one we ask ourselves on a regular basis.  Worry comes and it's because we are worrying about tomorrow.  Fear comes because we just don't know what we don't know and peace comes from resting and staying in today.  I often let my mind wander to tomorrow and it only causes fear and destruction.  Ulcers, health issues and other diseases come from worry and distraction.  Right now there are those that fear Ebola, those that are panicking and those that are resting.  Honestly, my first instince when they brought the physician to the US was to panic.  But as I sought the Lord and began resting in Him I was spurred to pray for him and the nurse that was effected.  Why?  Because I was listening in the moment.

Will this plague be the largest for all time?  That's a question I can not answer for only God knows what is happening in the world.  Can we stop it?  I'm not sure but I do know that we can pray and come together and ask God for a worldwide revival.  Through every historical event people have come to Christ because they were hurting, desperate or ill.  We are often not on our knees until something happens with our health or our money.  Loss is a powerful tool to ones heart.

While talking to the young man that has moved in with us, he asked me what I thought about Ebola.  I asked him if he truly believed in Jesus.  He never really answered.  He has made a lot of bad decisions lately and it's very hard to get the young to realize they may only have today.  Youth believes they will survive war, famine and disease but in reality if it's your time, that's all you have.  Which puts me back to the beginning of this message.  It's time to live our lives to the fullest.  We must ask ourselves if we only had today what would we want to be remembered for?  I for one would want to be remembered for loving others, teaching my sons to be Godly men and seeking God in my every day life.  He is the reason I am here after all.  Do I expect everyone to see the value in these words?  Not really, but they are true and they are in the Word.  Often, I find myself reflecting on passages that reveal God's calling and there is one that is so true.  Live for today just like Jesus did because tomorrow will come soon enough.

At the end of the day, there are thousands of people in Africa struggling to survive.  Ebola has already taken 4400 lives and many more to follow.  Should we live in fear or should we pray for them and ask God to move mountains and heal nations?  That's my prayer.  So how do we respond in this historical event?  We get on our knees and ask the Father of us all to come and heal the people of the land bringing revival to all nations.

I pray today that millions will join with me to ask God for mercy and revival. I am praying for a cure of biblical proportions and asking our Savior to intercede where man can not.  This moment is ours and we may only have today so let's take this day and love those we can not see or touch.  Please pray for the victims of this radical disease and pray for all of us to ask God for a new revival throughout the land.  He is our Savior and whether it's war, famine or disease; we are to rest in Him.  Powerful words and yet hard to follow.  God of Abraham is all powerful and all knowing.  Through our own will we can seek Him and find Him.  Please take a moment to seek Him today with everything you have and to ask that He give you direction just for today.

God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” (‭Hebrews‬ ‭4‬:‭7‬ NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment